hit counters

28 October 2009

The 10 Commandments

| |

My absolute favourite part of Secrets of a Black Boy was what they called "How to Get a Man in 10 Easy Steps".  As soon as they said that I was scrambling for my blackberry to get them down so I could share them with you. It's not actually a step-by-step plan to get a man, but more like some commandments to help you keep one. And of course, my two cents on each of them.
Ready? Here you go:

1. Never give it up in the first month
I agree with the sentiment behind this, but not the arbitrary timeline. I do think that the unevolved man will think less of a woman if she gives it up too early, but at the same time I don't think waiting is a guarantee of anything.

2. Never go to bed in a head tie
You already know what I think about this one. I won't say don't go to bed in a head tie, but it is important to preserve your sexy. Head tie + flannel cow-printed pajamas is not what's hot in the sheets.

3. Stop your partying ways
This one I don't really get. Apparently there is something wrong with a girl who is in the clubs too much, but I'm not really clear on what that is. If there is a man out there who would care to illuminate me, I'd be ever so grateful.

4. Get some girlfriends and lose the guy friends
Okay I partially get this one - a woman who has no female friends is kind of a warning sign...I guess. But on the other hand, it can be hard to make friends as an adult female. Especially for an attractive woman because women can be catty as hell. I don't see why she has to lose her guy friends though.

5. Don't mention kids or marriage in the first year
I'm torn on this one...I guess I think it's good advice for a woman who isn't looking to get married or have kids right away, but if that's your #1 goal then I think there's something to be said for being upfront about it. I knew a woman once who told a man on their first date "I'm looking to settle down and I'm not interested in wasting my time. So if that's not what you're looking for tell me now so I can move on with my life".  That was a pretty risky move but it worked out for them - they're married now and have a baby on the way. If she hadn't mentioned it, and that wasn't what he was looking for, wouldn't she have basically wasted a year of her life?

6. Men need sex like water and air. You need to give it up and give it up properly.
Co-sign. No need to really say any more than that.

7. Culture yourself.
This one I think was about women needing to expand their horizons...I think there was a line like "don't look at the plate of sushi and ask where's the ackee and saltfish". This is a sticky one for me because I am very particular about what I like and don't like, what I will and will not eat, etc. etc. and it takes a lot to make me deviate from it. But I won't stop anyone from doing what they want to do so if I'm dating someone and he wants sushi I will gladly go, but I'm not eating it. Sorry.

8. Don't be telling your friends our business.
Ha! Oh men, you make no sense. You don't want us to talk you to death, you don't want to hear nagging, you don't think it's necessary to discuss every little thing, but yet you don't want us to tell anyone else either. I get that certain things should be sacred and should stay within the confines of your relationship, but at the same time it can be helpful for a girl to talk things out with her girls. That way they can be the ones to tell her she's irrational and you don't have to be the a$$hole who says it.

9. Manage your cash wisely. And you better have good credit.
I agree with this one if you have marriage on the mind. Otherwise, I don't see how my credit is your business. Is that wrong?

10. Don't get comfortable. Shave it up so I can get it up.
I'll give you this one too. I see way too many women who just seem to completely stop grooming themselves once they lock down their man. Not a good idea, ladies.

What do you guys think of this list?

Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com
Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

Followers

about moi

My photo
bag lady. digital nerd. beauty junkie. shoe whore. i'm a sucker for big words and box-fresh kicks. know a little bit about a lot of things and have something to say about everything.
Visit MyAlltop Page
Blog directory
Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites
Clicky Web Analytics