hit counters

12 April 2010

Conversations About Sex

| |

In case you haven't noticed, I kinda love sex. Sex comes second only to books as the true love of my life. I write about it as often as I can, think about it all the time, and never, ever pass up an opportunity to have some. But the thing I think I love the most about sex is talking about it. Well, sometimes.

For the last few years I've had a firmish policy: I don't discuss sex with a man with whom I intend to have it.  Sound backwards? Well let me explain. There are two reasons why I think this is a bad idea; first because, as previously discussed, I like the anticipation of not knowing what a man will be like in bed before we get there. I like to go deputy dog on him and use his words and behaviour as clues of what he will be like. I know it's weird but that's just me.

The second and main reason I avoid pre-sex talk is that something happens when you have these kinds of conversations with men. I don't know why, but it seems that breaking the seal on the sex talk before you break the seal on the sex tends to lead to some crappy-ish behaviour. I have my theories about why that is, but I'll save that for another post and another day.

So the other day I was talking about my aversion to sex talk with my buddies over at Met Another Frog. They weren't buying the max-logic at all. Like, not.at.all. After a pretty lengthy discussion involving me bringing up my (admittedly feeble) arguments against pre-sex conversations and Skye shutting me down, they pretty much had me convinced that letting your prospective partner know about your needs, wants, and preferences (and learning about his) is the grown-up thing to do and the only way to ensure you get what you need once secksy time comes around. 

Now that I've had some time to marinate on it, I'm still not sold. I can't shake the feeling that these kinds of conversations are clinical and unromantic. And the last time I discussed sex in detail with a man prior to sleeping with him, he disappeared almost immediately afterward. So I'm sticking with my telephathic method of making my needs known to my partner; understanding of course that I cannot complain if they're not met. Well, not to his face anyway.

But what say you, ladies and gents? Do you lay out your expectations to your partner before you slam? Is there a way to make this conversation not lead to disaster? Educate me because I'm clearly backwards on this one.


Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com
Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

Followers

about moi

My photo
bag lady. digital nerd. beauty junkie. shoe whore. i'm a sucker for big words and box-fresh kicks. know a little bit about a lot of things and have something to say about everything.
Visit MyAlltop Page
Blog directory
Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites
Clicky Web Analytics