hit counters

1 February 2010

The Crush Not Taken

| |

In general, I’m a pretty happy person. No matter what’s going on in my life, I’m usually able to put a smile on my face and joke around as if I don’t have a care in the world. I’m one of those nervous-stomach types who gets sick whenever I get upset, so when bad things happen -  arguments, breakups, the Raptors lose – I don’t let them get me down.
But there is one thing sure to send me into the doldrums and that is when a crush must be prematurely or abruptly abandoned.
This has happened to me a lot and the reasons vary; sometimes I discover that the guy is a dickhead. Or he gets married or otherwise committed. Or he moves away. Or he turns out to be a cat-lover. Whatever the reason, having to drop the pebble of hope I’m carrying that my crush will one day wake up and see how perfectly suitable we are always sends me into a tizz.
See the thing is, I’m a big daydreamer. And when I have a crush on someone I’ve usually created my perfect fantasy of when and how he is going to fall in love with me. What he’ll say, what I’ll be wearing, our first fight, all that shit. I spend a lot of good, quality time (that could be put to much more productive use I’m sure) making sure every detail is suitably realistic and dazzling. So when I have to give it all up before it has a chance to come to fruition I feel as though my life’s work has gone to waste.
And call me crazy, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only girl who has trouble giving up on a crush.
Why is it that we are more easily able to deal with the ending of an actual real-life relationship than we are to give up on a fantasy? To be honest, I blame the media. There are craploads of magazine articles and books out there to help a woman get over the end of a relationship. There are do’s and don’ts for it. But if you have to give up on a crush you get nothing. This is why I’m walking around with all these semi-abandoned crushes on wildly unsuitable men so I’m forever gasping in excitement when I see someone before I remember that he’s been crossed off the list.
I’m going to write a guide for women to help them get over unworkable crushes. I’ll make an effing killing and you guys can say you knew me when.

Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com
Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

Followers

about moi

My photo
bag lady. digital nerd. beauty junkie. shoe whore. i'm a sucker for big words and box-fresh kicks. know a little bit about a lot of things and have something to say about everything.
Visit MyAlltop Page
Blog directory
Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites
Clicky Web Analytics